Friday 14 October 2011

Me and IDEALS

MUSIC is something I can't live without. I've been a music fan since a long time ago and been a concert go-ers right after I can earn my own money. I listen to some music genres, from pop, rock, japanese-rock, electronic, and indie music. The latest band I found very interesting was IDEALS. They are four-piece-London-based-indie-band who're formed on 2010. I knew about them from my best mate, Sindi, who lives in Sweden now. She gave me the link to their video, Lungs and I was instantly falling in love with them. Not too long after that, they released their video, Significant Other. This video definitely made me a huge fan of them. It is still become my favorite video of them until now.

Significant Other was the trigger for me to make arts for them. It was started by making Ben Ward portrait painting. (Ben is my favorite member of the band.) I had no intention at all when I made it. It was simply because I am a portrait painter and I've done some artists and musicians painting before. I was trying to find a way to show it to them, even though I didn't know their email before. I only knew their Facebook page, but I didn't wanna post it publicly. It was such a coincidence that I also bought their digital download at that time. In fact, the person who's sending me the mp3 file after buying it was the band manager. Wow. I had a tiny question about the download, so I sent him an email. I didn't wanna waste my opportunity and I asked him the band's email. I said that I had a little gift for Ben. Carl, the manager, gave me their email address and I straightly sent my painting to their email. Their response was beyond expectation, especially Ben himself. He was happy and that made me happy :)

It seemed that making one portrait painting is just not enough. I continued making fanart for the band, not only Ben. You can see the 'Book of IDEALS', piece of paper-art I made for the band here. They were so grateful for it and I'm flattered. Soon after that, I become friend with them. (Well, I mostly contact and talk to Ben. It appears that we share same obsessions toward Star Wars. Hahaha.) I also made poster for their gig in Ipswich. And I made a special present for Ben on his 21st birthday. It's the 3D model of him.

Now I am waiting for the package they send to me. It contains of their first EP CD that I missed (I only have the digital download), printed poster that I made, Ben's drumstick and Andrew's plectrum. So very excited!

Their second EP, Let Your Anger Leave You, will be released on November. You can buy the limited 12" vinyl here. I was so lucky that I had a chance to listen to 4 (out of 6) songs that will be on this EP and trust me.... they are amazing. You won't regret buying it. Here's the promo for one of the songs from this EP, Altar.


Tessa
x

No comments:

Post a Comment